Carbon monoxide is the colorless, odorless gas that is mainly emitted by fuel powered stoves. Exposure to carbon monoxide is harmful to your health. Here are five ways of safeguarding your home against carbon monoxide poisoning.
Carbon Monoxide Detectors
A carbon monoxide detector acts the same way as a smoke detector. The sensor is triggered when the house is exposed to carbon monoxide. A Miami electrician will help you fix carbon monoxide detectors at strategic places in your house.
Inspect your Fuel Powered Gadgets
You should hire a professional electrician in Miami to check your fuel powered gadgets. Furnaces, cars, and generators should be tested at least once in a year to check whether they are malfunctioning. If you leave these devices unchecked, you risk being exposed to carbon monoxide poisoning.
Using Your Fuel Appliances
Do not use your cooking stove to provide heat. Do not use a gas or charcoal grill indoors. These appliances are an important source of carbon monoxide. Use your generator outside and not in the house or garage. You should also ensure your generator is far from the windows or doors of your house to prevent the gas from getting in.
Fire Place Precautions
Carbon monoxide poisoning can occur in simple events such as warming yourself at the fireplace. Open the fireplace damper before lighting a fire. Wait for the ashes to cool before closing the fireplace damper. A fireplace damper prevents the accumulation of carbon monoxide in your house.
Beware of the Symptoms of Carbon Monoxide Poisoning
Some people get exposed to carbon monoxide without knowing. The symptoms exhibited by someone exposed to carbon monoxide poisoning include weakness, dizziness, headache, vomiting, nausea, confusion and sleepiness. In cases of high-level exposure to carbon monoxide, a person may show severe symptoms like losing your consciousness. Get the victim out in the open air dial 911 immediately. If you do not attend to the serious symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning, the last result is death.
Carbon monoxide poisoning can be fatal if left untreated. You can protect yourself and your loved ones by employing the five tips above.